K3b is a CD and DVD burning application for Linux systems optimized for KDE.
It provides a comfortable user interface to perform most CD/DVD burning tasks like creating an
Audio CD from a set of audio files or copying a CD. While the experienced user can take influence
in all steps of the burning process the beginner may find comfort in the automatic settings and
the reasonable K3b defaults which allow a quick start. The actual burning in K3b is done by the
command line utilities cdrecord, cdrdao, and growisofs.
K3b was created to be a feature-rich and easy to handle CD burning application.
It consists of basicly three parts:
1. The projects:
Projects are created from the file menu and then filled with data to burn.
The tools menu offers different tools like CD copy or DVD formatting.
3.Context sensitive media actions:
When clicking on the Icon representing a CD/DVD drive K3b will present it's contents and allow some further action. This is for example the way to rip audio CDs.
Linix is strongly required. x
- Creating data cds
- Add files and folders to your data cd project via drag'n'drop.
- Remove files from your project, move files within your project.
- Create empty direcories within your project.
- Write data cds on-the-fly directly without an image file or with image file. It's also possible to just create the image file and write it to cd later.
- Rockridge and Joliet support.
- Rename files in your project.
- Let K3b rename all the mp3/ogg files you add to your project to a common format like "artist - title.mp3".
- For advanced users: support for nearly all the mkisofs options.
- Verifying the burned data.
- Support for multible El-Torito boot images.
- Multisession support
- Creating audio cds:
- Pluggable audio decoding. Plugins for WAV, MP3, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis are included.
- CD-TEXT support. Will automagically be filled in from tags in audio files.
- Write audio cds on-the-fly without decoding audio files to wav before.
- Normalize volume levels before writing.
- Cut audio tracks at the beginning and the end.
- Creating Video CDs:
- VCD 1.1, 2.0, SVCD
- CD-i support (Version 4)
- Creating mixed-mode CDs:
- CD-Extra (CD-Plus, Enhanced Audio CD) support.
- All data and audio project features.
- Creating eMovix CDs
- CD Copy
- Copy single and multi session data CDs
- Copy Audio CDs
- Copy Enhanced Audio CDs (CD-Extra)
- Copy CD-Text
- Add CD-Text from cddb
- CD Cloning mode for perfect single session CD copies
- DVD burning:
- Support for DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W)
- Creating data DVD projects
- Creating eMovix DVDs
- Formatting DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs
- CD Ripping:
- CDDB support via http, cddbp and local cddb directory.
- Sophisticated pattern system to automatically organize the ripped tracks in directories and name them according to album, title, artist, and track number.
- CD-TEXT reading. May be used instead of CDDB info.
- K3b stores CDDB info of the ripped tracks which will automatically be used as CD-TEXT when adding the ripped files to an audio project.
- Plugin system to allow encoding to virtually every audio format. Plugins to encode to Ogg Vorbis, Mp3, FLAC, and all formats supported by SoX included.
- DVD Ripping and DivX/XviD encoding
- Save/load projects.
- Blanking of CDR-Ws.
- Retrieving Table of contents and cdr information.
- Writing existing iso images to CD or DVD with optional verification of the written data.
- Writing cue/bin files created for CDRWIN
- DVD copy (no video transcoding yet)
- Enhanced CD device handling:
- Detection of max. writing and reading speed.
- Detection of Burnfree and Justlink support.
- Good media detection and optional automatic CD-RW and DVD-RW blanking
- KParts-Plugin ready.